Thursday 12 January 2012

Some new (old) vinyl.


I had some time at lunch today and knowing I had a package waiting at the local Post Office I whipped over.

The package was an eBay purchase of 2 classic records: Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick and Sly And The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On. In and out quickly I also barely had time to duck into the Salvation Army basement and I was glad I did.

I headed straight to the records where I sometimes find a couple of decent recordings in amongst the Nana Mouskuri and Marty Robbins.

Not having much time I scanned around to look for what appeared to be new arrivals as I go there maybe once a week since it is so close. There was a guy hunched over a box on the floor and he had already pulled out a copy of London Calling by the Clash and a Jerry Lee Lewis record plus others. I kicked him aside...I mean waited impatiently, while flipping through some others nearby, finding nothing of interest. It was obviously worth waiting for though as I saw him select about 10 more from that box.

When I got to it, I still was able to find 5 or 6 more that he rejected, plus he passed on another couple he handed to me. He was obviously not a jazzy kind of guy. :)

I've been listening to funk and jazz all night and thoroughly enjoying it.

Funky pickins

From top left, total price of $6:

Mary Lou Williams - Solo Recital
Herbie Hancock - Future Schock
Art Blakey etc. - Child's Dance
Ahmad Jamal - Outermeinner Space
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Kirkatron
Johnnie Taylor - One Step Beyond
Ramsay Lewis - Sun Goddess
The Commodores - Machine Gun (still sort of sealed!)

It's all in good condition to practically new. The Tull (full newspaper edition, same as we had back in Shediac in about 1973), and Sly records at the bottom right I paid a bit more for but they are records I went out looking for. The others were just serendipitous.




No comments:

Post a Comment